Unsere Kategorien

Inside the "stupid young heart"


The finish film Hölmö Nuori Sydän (Stupid young heart) had its premiere at Berlinale Generation this Tuesday. The film combines the topic of teenage pregnancy and right wing populism. Here you can meet the two actors Jere and Rosa and director Selma Vilhunen.

                                                                             Jere Ristsepp playing Lenni 

"I heard about the casting for Hölmö Nuori Sydän via facebook. They were searching for a 15 - 17 year old boy, small, lanky and living in the suburbs. So I just went to the casting - at the beginning it was more as an joke - but shooting this film was really great. Now I want to continue acting. There are a couple of small roles in TV coming up. In Hölmö Nuori Sydän I play a shady character – Lenni is involved in a right wing group - but since this is my first production my parents and friends are very proud of me. You know at the moment right wing populism is a big topic in Finland, but most of it we see only on the News. I have been confronted with a couple of skinheads but not in a violent way. But yes, I have seen some right wing demonstrations in Helsinki."

What do you think, why does Lenni wants to keep the baby?
"Lenin wants to keep the baby because his own father abandoned him. He wants to get a chance to act different. Its not easy for him. But he doesn't want to leave Kiira and the baby alone."


                                                                        Rosa Honkonen playing Kiira

"I myself am kind of a girly girl so I can identify to a character like Kiira. I have danced my whole life, so it was very nice to also dance in the movie. There are a few things that connect us, but I don’t dress the same way as Kiira does and it was very difficult to play Kiira when she was angry. Kiira is often overreacting and Im not like that at all. That anger was the most difficult part of the role. But I tried to keep in mind that it is normal to have strong emotions when you are pregnant. The belly I wear wasn’t heavy, it was hollow and sometimes it felt really real. Then I was thinking: what if there actually were a Baby in there? The last scene we shoot was the labour scene. It was a challenge. But it just came naturally to me which it’s very weird because I’ve never been in that situation."

What do you think, why does Kiira wants to keep the baby?
"I think Kiira wanted to keep the baby because she already had an abortion a year ago and she wants the baby because she is missing something in her life. But probably I wouldn't decide the same way."

                                                                 Selma Vilhunen director of Stupid Young Heart

"Yesterday was a big day for me. The screening went well. I think it was the highlight of my career so far, so it was a very special night. I started making movies when I was 18 years old, now Im 42 – so Its been a while. I have made feature and documentaries, many shot films and TV dramas – so very different sort of films. The screenwriter Kirsikka Saari had the idea for the film. She wanted to write about teenage pregnancy and the rise of the right wing populism and this story connects those themes. Her inspiration was actually a story her hairdresser told her. The hairdressers helped a friends of her giving birth at the hospital. At the middle of the night that friend went out to get a cigarette and on the balcony she saw this 15 year old boy, who was about to become a farther. It was apparent that the boy was part of some right wing group. But anyhow this boy was very confident about becoming a farther. That was the inspiration for Kirsikka to write a short story and when she showed it to me I said that we should make a movie out of it. Its not my idea but I can relate to the story, especially to the process of becoming a parent. Its a happy thing, but it is also a crisis. Its such a big change in your life, such a different state of being at the snap of a finger. That is what bonds me to the characters. But I also admire many of the other themes. I guess the music of the film is kind of synthetic and base orientated. Our music superviser comes from the Netherlands his name is Timo Dirksen. He is a 23-year-old DJ. With him we found the tone of the film."

How would you react if your daughter would be 15 and pregnant?
"That is a good question. To bee honest I would be shocked at first, but then I would be open to what ever she would decide to do. 15 is enough to be abel to do it I think, but to be dreadfully honest I would probably be more supportive of having a abortion at that moment in life. But I think there is no right or wrong answer to this question I think its the mother who knows what to do."

14.02.19, Liv Thastum

No comments:

Post a Comment